Sunday 2 March 2014

Two 4 Year Old Boys and a Whole Lot of Snow!

This week we've had a noisy, superhero-filled, snowy week. Let me set the scene for you...

They arrived on Saturday lunchtime just as I was finishing the upstairs rooms and it wasn't long before I had two little visitors asking 'Who are you?'. The boys are twins, but thankfully very easy to tell apart, and they arrived with their mother and father and their lovely nanny, Melba. It wasn't long before the boys were demanding Nutella on a spoon, even though one has Type 1 diabetes, and the pot was opened and the tantrums started when the word 'no' was muttered. Let's just say that the idea of discipline was a long way away from Megeve this week!


Most evenings I cooked the boys a healthy meal, and I soon learnt that it should contain no carbohydrate as this would mean the blood sugars would go soaring but it wasn't from the mother who had no interest in letting me know what she would like them to eat, just complaining about what was on their plate when it arrived! My popcorn chicken made with chicken breast, egg white and cornflakes went down well (after some protests from one) with the boys but the mother was not impressed! I still cant work out where I went wrong with that one! The adult meals where healthy, vegetarian and within the guidelines they had given me such as quinoa stuffed butternut squash, vegetable lasagna and we even sneaked in a raclette.


When the boys were playing nicely it was great. We've had slipper-clad ice man, mega-wotsit as well as dogs, babies and various other creatures that make interesting and loud noises and are usually naked! We're now proud owners of an igloo, several beautiful sculptures, we've had the snow planted with logs so we get trees in the summer and sledges too, although I'm not sure what they were hoping to get from those! The walls have new colourful drawings all over them and not even my trusty Cif will shift them. Various keys keep turning up in odd places which is unfortunate for the gentlemen who have to use the middle loo - we've resorted to whistling when on the loo!


It's not been a difficult week but I've been doing a lot of guessing and Phil's been doing a lot of running around! He's even managed to ski with the boys and they were rather excited to show him the magic carpet! I did feel sorry for him when I had to leave him mid-week to make a quick trip home but he was prepared with veggie lasagna, panna cotta, sausages for the kids and a day off as well! He managed fine and didn't look any the worse for wear when I got back! He also got an amazing ski in on Saturday morning. It had snowed overnight and he was the first person up Mont Joly, a big off-piste area, making tracks in the snow.


Today we changed guests and swapped a relatively easy 5 people for 8 adults. We then have a full change on Wednesday for another 8 adults and then next Sunday my brother-in-law and nephew and niece arrive. So it's all go here and whilst the French holidays are starting to slow down, our chalet bookings certainly aren't!

PS I cannot believe that this blog has had over 1000 views since I started it! Happy reading, whoever you are and please feel free to leave a comment...

No comments:

Post a Comment